Thursday, February 16, 2012

my, my, my

Bon Iver and I are slowly getting to know one another. At the moment, 'Skinny Love' sticks with me long after the song has finished. It simultaneously scares and intrigues me, that I don't immediately know what he's singing about - I feel like I really have to think about what I'm hearing, and try to process it...and even then, I don't know if I'm pulling the 'right' things from it.  Regardless of what he has to say, I suspect it's worth the effort to find out.



Come on skinny love just last the year
Pour a little salt we were never here
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my

Staring at the sink of blood and crushed veneer
I tell my love to wreck it all
Cut out all the ropes and let me fall
My, my, my, my, my, my, my, my

Right in the moment this order's tall
And I told you to be patient
And I told you to be fine
And I told you to be balanced
And I told you to be kind
And in the morning I'll be with you
But it will be a different kind
And I'll be holding all the tickets
And you'll be owning all the fines...

* * * * *

I think I'm kind of living in an altered non-moment - so far removed from the now, that during those times I have glimpses of the real, I start to wonder if I'm crazy, or just asleep. Simple things, like the things you do everyday and don't think about - like learning the delicate balance of the accelerator and clutch when you're 17, now at 28 it has become innate - like pouring cereal, or locking a door - it's autopilot.  I glance up at my wall and wonder did I really hang that picture there... I don't remember making that decision... did I lock the door - or am I just remembering when I locked the door yesterday, one week ago, eight years ago? I think I'm always living two moments ahead - I suppose that's what happens when you get too comfortable... every day starts to feel the same because it kind of is.

SB xx

2 comments:

Rianna said...

Love this song but I especially love the post script: you so often write things and I wonder; is she inside my head, saying the things I think and feel??
xoxo

StrangeBird said...

It's a comfort to know I'm not alone in these thoughts :)