Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Art Class 1. 0. None

So, tonight was my first art class - kind of a stinking disaster of lead, charcoal and $1 paper, but I'll keep at it.  Turns out I'm not actually an artistic genius after all.  I have this real need for approval in the teacher/student relationship, and when I don't get it - I get frustrated and upset.  I guess essentially, I want to be special - and when I'm not, it hits hard.

Zoning out and not having my mind wander to work and normal life issues was nice though - that is definitely a positive.  I'm going to keep at it and keep practising.  I learnt tonight that I don't like fruit, or flowers as subject matter... but I'm sure I'll find something that inspires me.. more.

It was quite ridiculous actually.  I used an easel for the first time in my life - being right handed, my right hand was busy enough - but I had some difficulty finding occupation for my left hand.  At certain points, I would be seen with my left hand casually in my hoodie pocket, or at other times resting across my chest in a defensive "back off apple" stance, or even sitting atop my hip - angry mumma style. Must have looked quite silly!

I found a lovely quote on the back of a birthday card that I brought today.  May my head hit the pillow with similar sentiments.

Legends say that hummingbirds float free of time, carrying our hopes for love, joy and celebration.  The hummingbird's delicate grace reminds us that life is rich, beauty is everywhere, every personal connection has meaning and that laughter is life's sweetest creation.

Oh, to be a hummingbird - or better yet, to be a friend of one...

SB xx

No comments: