Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Rules

Outwit. Outlast. Outplay. So the TV show 'Survivor' might have coined this as its catchphrase - but these words collectively are a motto to live by.

So tonight, I'm crossing the road - I look to my right, there's no one coming - so I start to cross, patiently, kinda slowly - it's been a long day, and the shoes I'm wearing aren't great for express walking. Seemingly I was going too slow - I'm almost at the centre strip when a knob driving a Suzuki Swift (SPEW) with private number plates I might add (double SPEW) - beeps her tacky horn and hurls abuse at me? "Fucking Idiot" I believe is what I caught as she zoomed past me. It left me feeling a little idiotic and embarrassed. I still don't understand what happened - but mostly I became disappointed with the human race for having people like that a part of it. Outlast assault with a vehicle.

So then, I started to wonder when it became ok to treat others this way. When did it become acceptable to yell at total strangers who get in our way? I know I can be guilty of this - but at least I keep it in the 'internal environment' ... that is, my mind. In every moment we are passing judgement on those we encounter and seemingly some people think that being outrageously verbal about it is OK. Life is going to be hard work if we have to be on the defensive all the time. Outwit the dumb asses of the world, and just keep out of their way!

And work - that place is like an unattended restaurant kitchen at peak meal time. So many different pots being stirred, boiling over or boiling dry. The meat is overcooked and the veggies are soggy. So many chefs in the kitchen who have stopped following the recipe and are now trying to cook their own dishes. There are stories and rumours flying about the place - you have to think two steps ahead in the shoes of your 'enemy', then 10 steps ahead for yourself, and you must always be wary of people carrying knives! Outplay the office politics and be the last one standing.

It really is a jungle out there.

SB xx

No comments: